Gluten Free "French Toast"
We love healthy food but we still have cravings for those not so “clean” meals. This recipe gets close to healthy as possible on a not so healthy dish. :)
Let’s get cookin’!
“No Toast French Cake”
*GLUTEN FREE RECIPE*
- 1 Cup of Oats (I like to use Trader Joe’s Rolled Oats – they’re 100% Whole Grain Oats, Gluten Free and Wheat Free. They also have 0mg of Sodium and only 1gram of Sugar. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s in your area you can use any type of oat you prefer. I recommend Steel Cut or Rolled though! :)
- 4-5 Egg Whites (This is optional you can also do all whole eggs or do half whites and half wholes, etc. It doesn’t affect the recipe whichever you decide to do!)
- ½ Teaspoon of Vanilla extract (OR you can use Raw Ground Vanilla Bean – I use whichever one I have at the time.)
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Ground Cinnamon (You can use more if you’re a cinnamon lover!)
- ¾ Cup of Unsweetened Hemp Milk (Plain or Vanilla – both taste great. You can also use regular milk or other nut milks if you prefer!)
- 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Nectar (Agave works well too!)
- 1-3 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and milk. (You could also add some coconut nectar or agave to the mixture for extra sweetness!)
- Heat up coconut oil in a small frying pan on low-medium heat.
- Once pan is hot pour mixture into pan. As it starts to cook pour oats over the eggs before it cooks all the way through. You only need to do a thin layer of oats otherwise when you flip them they will be everywhere! I know this from experience. ;)
- When it looks like the eggs are cooking through you can flip it over so the oats are on the bottom now.
- Finished when eggs are fully cooked on both sides.
- Top with berries (or fruit of your choice) and top with the coconut nectar (or agave).
*NOTE*: A “cleaner” version of this would be to lose the fruit and syrup.