Welcome to our first post!
For our first home cooked recipe, we wanted to choose something that was familiar and that we make everyday. This is a meal that is easy to prepare, affordable and takes no time to cook.
Today we are making sautéed spinach and kale with bell peppers. We have topped off this meal with homemade hummus dressing and sprinkled pine nuts for additional flavor.
Here is how to make this tasty and super healthy meal!
Sautéed Spinach + Kale with Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 2
*This is recipe is Vegan and Vegetarian and Gluten Free*
- 2 Stalks of Kale
- 2 Large handfuls of Spinach (or a ½ of a bag)
- 2 Bell Peppers (You can use any color peppers you’d like. We chose orange and yellow peppers!)
- 1/2 cup Pine Nuts
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 1-2 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Hummus Dressing (You can follow our recipe listed below, on how to make your own. If you want a quicker option we love Trader Joe’s Hummus Dressing!)
- While washing your veggies set up a sauce pan on medium heat with one or two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- As it heats up throw a little water in the pan.
- Remove the kale leaves from the stalk.
- Add the spinach and kale. Keep stirring until the leaves soften.
- Add chopped up bell peppers.
- Stir occasionally.
- When leaves start to darken and are al dente you can remove the heat.
- Add pine nuts and dressing.
Here’s an idea! If you’d like to incorporate a lean protein you can always add to this recipe. You can also add cheese on top for additional flavor.
We really like making things from scratch when possible, but sometimes we get so busy and time does not permit. In those cases we love Trader Joes Hummus Dressing. It’s super yummy!
Hummus Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup Garbanzo Beans
- 1 tablespoon EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- ¼ cup of Tahini
- ¼ teaspoon Rice Vinegar
- 1/8 of a teaspoon of Salt
- 2 dashes of Black Pepper
- ½ cup of Water
- Juice from 2 Lemons
- 1 tablespoon of Parsley
Directions: Put all ingredients into a food processor and process until it's a thinner consistency like a dressing. If it's still too thick you can add lemon juice or water to it.