Happy Tuesday everyone!
Today I’m sharing a recipe that I made last year for Thanksgiving, Baked Cheesy Spinach. Creamed Spinach was always a staple at the dinner table for my family at Thanksgiving. When I started really getting into cooking one thing that I always thought about was that there must be a healthier way to make a lot of these classic dishes. That there must be a way you could use alternatives to make it better for you. This recipe is a one that does just that!
Baked Cheesy Spinach
- 1 Large 1lb Package of Fresh Spinach
- 3 Large Eggs (You can use all whole eggs, all whites or all whites and a whole – which ever combination you prefer!)
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- ¼ Cup All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- ¼ cup Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup of Finely Chopped White Onion
- 5 Large Garlic Cloves Chopped
- ½ Teaspoon of Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper
- Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- First, wash your spinach thoroughly.
- Now, chop up your onion and garlic.
- Heat up a large pan and start sautéing the spinach. You will probably have to do two batches of sautéing because of how much you will be using.
- Sauté the garlic + onion and add to the spinach in a bowl.
- Next, start by mixing together the eggs, almond milk, flour, Greek yogurt, salt + pepper in a separate medium size mixing bowl.
- Now add the garlic, onions and spinach to the liquid mixture. Add the cheddar cheese and mix again using a spoon.
- Grease a 2 qt baking dish. (I like to use EVOO or Avocado Oil.)
- Pour the final mixture into the baking dish and top with a very thin layer of breadcrumbs. You can also add more cheese to the top if you’d like! Both of these are optional but I like the little crunch that the breadcrumbs add to it.
- Bake for an hour or until you can put a knife or fork in the center and pull it out cleanly.
Recipe, Written & Styled by: Kristen Tola Hettich
Photography by: Bethany Nauert