Happy Tuesday friends!
With Thanksgiving approaching in a few days, I thought I would post a recipe that would definitely be a great one to make for your family dinner! It’s super tasty and easy to make! Be sure you give yourself plenty of prep time though, because it is not a quick dish to make but the end result is definitely worth it!
Pear + Yam + Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 Large Bartlett Pears
- 1 Large Yam
- 1 lb. of Butternut Squash
- 2 Medium White Onions
- 1 ½ cup of water
- ¼ cup Almond Milk
- 2 Cups of Low Sodium Veggie Broth
- 2 Tablespoons of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- ¾ Teaspoon of Himalayan Sea Salt
- Chopped chives for garnish
- First dice + peel your squash. (To speed up the prep time you can buy the pre packaged squash that is already diced for you.) Peel + dice the yam.
- Add the yam, squash, water, salt, veggie broth and cinnamon stick to a pot and let simmer until soft. (Around 45 minutes.)
- While your squash and yam are simmering, slice your onions and in a separate pan cook the onions with the EVOO.
- Next, peel and slice the pears. Throw away the cores. Add the pears to the pan with the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Then let them simmer for another 10-15minutes until you start to see they are getting caramelized.
- By the time your pear and onions are done you will have about 5 minutes or so left for the yam and squash. Before adding the pear + onions remove the cinnamon stick from the pot and throw away.
- Once the yam and squash are soft enough to easily mash with a fork you can add the pear and onion to the pot.
- Mix together both mixtures in the pot.
- Add entire mixture into a blender in batches. You will probably only have to do about 2 batches.
- Add the almond milk into the batches and blend until completely smooth and has a soup like texture.
NOTE: This soup will be thick so you don't have to keep blending and blending to get a more liquidy texture. Also, you can add more salt while you’re blending if you feel it needs a little extra! :)