Here’s a unique recipe to try! It’s a healthy spin on traditional spaghetti using Spaghetti Squash. My good friend, Bethany Nauert, contributed this recipe. It’s super healthy and also very simple to make!
- 1 Spaghetti Squash (Most likely found easiest at Whole Foods)
- 1-2 cups of Spinach
- 1/2 or 1 whole Red Bell Pepper
- Parmesan, shaved or grated
- Olive oil
- Wash all your veggies
- Punch many holes into the squash, using a screwdriver or scissors. You can use a knife, but it's more difficult to punch all the way through.
- Heat the squash in the microwave for 6-8 mins, if it doesn't feel somewhat soft and definitely hot…then stick it in the microwave and heat for an additional 1-3 mins depending.
- When you cut the squash in half, the "meat" inside should be very squishy and soft. If it's still cool (it should be piping hot) then it's not done and you can heat more.
- Meanwhile, sauté your spinach and bell pepper on medium heat in a skillet or wide sauce pan with a bit of olive oil for flavor.
- When squash is ready, you need to scrape the middle out and remove all seeds.
- Then with a fork you can literally start peeling the spaghetti strands from the walls of the squash… it will look like pasta as your shred it off.
- Add squash, bell pepper and spinach to a bowl…top it off with Parmesan and DINNER IS SERVED! :)
Written by: Bethany Nauert + Kristen Tola Hettich
Styled by: Kristen Tola Hettich
Recipe + Photographed by: Bethany Nauert