Today we are sharing a super yummy breakfast recipe with you! This meal is healthy, fun to make and SO delicious! It’s also a great alternative to eating your typical cereal.
Let’s try it!
“Not Your Average Cereal” Recipe
Ingredients: (Serving size: Small breakfast bowl)
- ½ Cup of Cooked Quinoa (The quinoa can be used hot or cold for this recipe. Both are very good! When used hot this could take place of oatmeal and used cold it’s more like cereal.)
- ¼ cup of Granola (We love Whole Foods Brand Granola and for a gluten-free option we love Udi’s Original Granola – pictured below*)
- As little or as much Fruit you’d like:
*Note*: We used these fruits but what ever fruits you like can be added instead! You can also sub nectarines for peaches or add them both to this dish!
- 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Nectar -- This is my secret weapon! SO yummy! A substitute for this could be agave or honey but I can almost guarantee after you try this stuff you won’t use agave again!
- ½ cup of Unsweetened Original or Vanilla Hemp Milk (We used Unsweetened Vanilla for this recipe. Hemp milk can be found in Whole Foods along with Soy milk, Almond milk, etc. You could also use these instead of the hemp milk but the taste of the hemp milk adds a great flavor to this meal!)
- OPTIONAL: 1 Medjool Date (or any dates of your preference – you can always add more if your heart desires!)
- OPTIONAL: 2 Tablespoons of Hemp Seeds
- OPTIONAL: 1 Tablespoon of Ground Flaxseed (You can add whole flax seeds if you wish though!)
- OPTIONAL: Small amount of Goji Berries (about 7-10 berries
Let’s make this!
- First start by making the quinoa. If you’re not familiar with cooking quinoa, it may seem like not a lot but it will expand when you cook it. You will only use about 2/3 of a cup of cooked quinoa for the recipe but I usually make a whole cup so I have leftover for the rest of the week. Directions are generally on the back of the packaging but if you buy lose quinoa here is how you make it…
*Add 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of boiling water. Then bring your water down to a low heat. Cover the pot and let simmer for 10-15. Your quinoa is done when each grain spirals out.
- Now that your quinoa is done you can add it to your bowl. (I used a small breakfast bowl that's about one cup.) Pictured: Blue flower bowl from Ikea.
- Next, add your granola
*Note* You can layer the granola on top of the quinoa or stir it in.
- Add your fruit! We put on ½ sliced up banana, ½ sliced and cubed kiwi, a few raspberries, a handful of blueberries, 1 strawberry sliced into quarters, a few blackberries, quarter of a nectarine cubed and a quarter of a Gala apple cubed. Toss all your fruit on top of the granola and quinoa.
- Cut your date(s) into quarters and top with fruit.
- Top your fruit and dates with the flaxseeds, hemp seeds and goji berries. This step is optional!
- Pour on the coconut nectar or sauce/syrup of your choice! We really recommend using the nectar though! Another option is you can pour some into the quinoa/granola and then top again on your fruit for an added sweetness!
- Pour the hemp milk over everything!
- Thank us for sharing this amazing recipe! ;)